Vegetarian Stir Fry is my favorite side dish for any meal and occasion. My family knows I am the expert for making a well-done sit fry with basting oil, salt and ground pepper. However, this week I bought tofu from ASSI Plaza which is located in North Wales, PA. This store is primarily an all-Asian market, particularly Korean food and household items. I decided to add tofu to my stir fry. Tofu is a very good source of protein.
What you will need:
- 2 cutting boards. 1 for vegetables and 1 for tofu
- dish towel. You will dispose this in the laundry after drying the block of tofu.
- fry pan
- ground pepper
- basting oil
- Found at Wegmans and contains: Grapeseed Oil, Canola Oil, Dried Thyme, Dried Parsley, Natural Garlic Flavor. If you are unfamiliar, please use olive oil instead.
- mushrooms- try buying cremini and/or portobellos
- red and green bell peppers
- FIRM Tofu. Please do not use soft tofu as this is only for smoothies, desserts, and salad dressings only.
- On your cutting board for vegetables, slice the mushrooms, and bell peppers into semi-thin slices. If they are too thin, the stir fry vegetables will be too oily. When I first made a stir fry, this was the result. However, I learned from my silly mistake.
- Cut your asparagus into 3 pieces per stem. Asparagus will start to turn a bit black if cut into smaller pieces. I usually do a stir fry for dinner after work. If you have more time cut only the bottom 1 inch.
- Remove packaging from your tofu container. Place the dish towel on the other cutting board and place tofu on top.
- Fold the other end of dish towel on top of the tofu. Push down on the tofu and soak out all of the water. Feel the tofu and it will be more firm than the block in the original packaging.
- Cut the tofu into small rectangular blocks. Make sure that the tofu mini blocks have thickness so there is enough room for the cooking oil has time to cook this delicacy.
- Place your fry pan on the stove. Turn on at medium heat.
- Add your cooking oil. Olive or basting oil. Take your pan in hand and move it around so the oil reaches all areas of the pan.
- Let the oil simmer for a good 30 seconds. Add the vegetables only first and let them sit for a while before mixing in the pan.
- Add tofu once one side of your vegetables are some-what brownish-black. Place the tofu separately from one another to grill equally. The reason why I don’t add tofu with the vegetables is because firm tofu grills very quickly and you want to make sure your dish is served on time.
5. Add salt and ground pepper. I prefer ground pepper because you can taste the succulent flavor of the different vegetables being stir fried on the pan.
6. Flip your tofu on both sides. Make sure no vegetables and tofu blocks are sticking to the pan. When you see a golden-brown color on both sides of tofu, your dish is ready to be served.
Oh and don’t forget to do the dishes after you finish your meal and put the dish towel in the laundry basket.
What are some of your recipes of making stir fry with tofu? Share with me in your comments below!
Make sure you HIT the LIKE button down below, COMMENT, SHARE, & FOLLOW this blog if you haven’t done so already.
See ya’ll later peeps!
#Avid #Travel #Foodie